Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday evening

     Drove down to El Tuito today. It's the county seat - a small town of about 5000 or so but there are a LOT of children. There are 450 in the elementary school, so they have to go to school in 2 shifts. A wonderful coincidence is that the community of in the process of putting a library in the school. They have enough to re-model the room and put in the bookshelves, but didn't have much for books. I'm going to give them four libraries to get them off the ground. They want me to show them the card checkout system, because they hadn't figured out how to manage that part.

     Later I went to the middle school. I wanted to find out about their needs for English-Spanish books, since Mexican schools are making a strong push for English language education. They want to find engaging novels and science books that will be easy (3rd or 4th grade level) texts from which to learn. I'm  interested in talkingt with some ESL educators about this, but I think we can come up with some good recommendations.

     There's a mariachi music festival in trown tonight, so I'm off. Regards to all.

1 comment:

  1. We miss you Dr.Baron !!!! I hope you have a happy happy happy Thanksgiving !!!


    Anaury

    ReplyDelete